Using sftp through HTTP authenticating proxy

Donald Russell russell.don at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:05:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 19:26, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 03:26:54PM -0700, Donald Russell wrote:
> >    I'd like to use sftp to connect to a system on the outside but have to
> go
> >    through an HTTP proxy.
> >
> >    When I try to connect, I get an error back from the proxy server
> saying
> >    Authentication is required.
> >
> >    nc: Proxy error: "HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required"
> >    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
> >
> >    The question is: How/where do I specify the userid/password for this
> >    authentication?
>
> yum install corkscrew
> man corkscrew
>
> You have to tunnel ssh over https to get through your proxy.  Your
> proxy may also require that your ssh+https destination be listening on
> port 443, meaning you'll have to have your target system run sshd and
> listen on port 443 (in addition to listening on port 22).

FWIW... I've been able to make wget work by specifying the environment
variable and specifying --proxy-password= and --proxy-user= that works fine.

My next step was to see if I could get SSH to go through...

On a Windows box, I use PuTTY and specify the userid/password and the proxy
address/port... works fine.

So my next step was to see if I could get SSH from Linux to go through the
same proxy... but I don't know how/where to specify the proxy password/user
etc, so it fails. Along comes "corkscrew"... I'll check that out.

There s a whole bunch o' option in ssh_config etc, I'm surprised there isn't
a "convenient" way to do this.
Once I get ssh working through the roxy, I should be able to get sftp riding
on top of it...

Thanks