Can't edit text -

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 16:52:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 11:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > This file was copied from OO in F-10 but I have set the permissions to
> > 776:
> >
> >     [bobg at box9 ootext]$ ll
> >     total 12
> >     -rwxrwxrw-. 1 bobg root 9554 2009-10-07 09:42 bp-meds.090827.odt
>
> The group ownership is rather telling.  Why is there a "root" in there?
> And what do you mean by copied from OO?  Open a file from one place in
> OpenOffice.org and saved to somewhere else?  Something else?  What's the
> process that your files have been through from initial creation to you
> working on them?  Any backups in the middle?  And, if so, how were they
> done?
>
> None of *my* files ever get "root" in the user or group ownerships.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Hmmm, I have changed one file named unknown.odt  to permissions of 776 with
ownership fennix:root and subsequently have no difficulty with editing and
saving my changes. This file is also is on the data disk that has been
remounted after installation/upgrade through 4 fedora versions and retaining
my user and group id's (uid and gid) which always is the same.  But if your
files are somehow "copied" rather than the originals as mine are perhaps
some other question is involved.  My user ID is just the installation
default so has no groups added to it such as root.  My uid and gid is always
500.  I always use the default OO package supplied from Fedora.  There seems
to be more involved with whatever you have done through your upgrade process
and perhaps we have not yet asked the right question yet.

Yours,
Fennix