Can't edit text -

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 16:59:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Fennix <cn.stefan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 11:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> > This file was copied from OO in F-10 but I have set the permissions to
>> > 776:
>> >
>> >     [bobg at box9 ootext]$ ll
>> >     total 12
>> >     -rwxrwxrw-. 1 bobg root 9554 2009-10-07 09:42 bp-meds.090827.odt
>>
>> The group ownership is rather telling.  Why is there a "root" in there?
>> And what do you mean by copied from OO?  Open a file from one place in
>> OpenOffice.org and saved to somewhere else?  Something else?  What's the
>> process that your files have been through from initial creation to you
>> working on them?  Any backups in the middle?  And, if so, how were they
>> done?
>>
>> None of *my* files ever get "root" in the user or group ownerships.
>>
>> --
>> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
>> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>>

> Hmmm, I have changed one file named unknown.odt  to permissions of 776 with
> ownership fennix:root and subsequently have no difficulty with editing and
> saving my changes. This file is also is on the data disk that has been
> remounted after installation/upgrade through 4 fedora versions and retaining
> my user and group id's (uid and gid) which always is the same.  But if your
> files are somehow "copied" rather than the originals as mine are perhaps
> some other question is involved.  My user ID is just the installation
> default so has no groups added to it such as root.  My uid and gid is always
> 500.  I always use the default OO package supplied from Fedora.  There seems
> to be more involved with whatever you have done through your upgrade process
> and perhaps we have not yet asked the right question yet.
>
> Yours,
> Fennix

Forgot to mention the file unknown.odt was not just created to test your
question.  It is a file from 2005.10.27 and predates my current data disk by
several years (so was copied there from another disk(s) and was created on a
4 year old version of OO).  I have never changed the ownership nor
permissions on this file until today to test your question and to attempt to
duplicate your problem.

Yours,

Fennix