How to get rid from unused entries in ~/.thumbnails

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Oct 28 17:56:13 UTC 2009

On 10/28/2009 01:47 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:39:01 -0400,
>    Todd Zullinger<tmz at pobox.com>  wrote:
>>
>> When disk costs fractions of pennies, is that amount of space even a
>> concern?  I've had my thumbnails dir grow over several GB before,
>> after moving my photos to new locations.  sing the thumbnails are
>> stored based on the md5 of the path to the image, I ended up
>> duplicating a lot of thumbnails.
>
> Backed up storage isn't nearly as cheap as throw away storage. Disk bandwidth
> has not been keeping up with disk size. It isn't getting cheaper to back up
> disk space at nearly the rate that plain disk space has.

Use gconf-editor to set:

/desktop/gnome/thumbnail_cache/maximum_age
in days

/desktop/gnome/thumbnail_cache/maximum_size
in MB

The default is 180 days and 512 MB. However, fspot overwrites these
default to much larger values if present.

This is a feature of gnome-settings-daemon (the "housekeeping" plugin).
The purge should occur a few minutes after each log-on.

- Mike