Can't edit text -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Oct 28 19:11:21 UTC 2009

On 28/10/09 11:54, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 11:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> This file was copied from OO in F-10 but I have set the permissions to
>> 776:
>>
>>      [bobg at box9 ootext]$ ll
>>      total 12
>>      -rwxrwxrw-. 1 bobg root 9554 2009-10-07 09:42 bp-meds.090827.odt
>>
> The group ownership is rather telling.  Why is there a "root" in there?
> And what do you mean by copied from OO?  Open a file from one place in
> OpenOffice.org and saved to somewhere else?  Something else?  What's the
> process that your files have been through from initial creation to you
> working on them?  Any backups in the middle?  And, if so, how were they
> done?
>
> None of *my* files ever get "root" in the user or group ownerships.

The origins of this file are long lost. It probably began as a
StarOffice file, I don't remember. It's a form I use to keep track of
the pills I take. Routine stuff that is easily lost track of, did I or
didn't I? It has been modified numerous times over the last ten years or
so as med's change, etc. I probably changed permissions and owner,
usually all I want is to print ten more copies and do whatever it takes
to get it done.

The problem was with the directory ootext which apparently had it's
permissions corrupted somehow when I transferred it from the F-10
computer. I don't know what I might have done wrong but I removed the
directory and created a new one with the same name.

    [bobg at box9 ~]$ ll /home/bobg/ootext

    -rw-rw-r--. 1 bobg bobg 9425 2009-10-28 15:01 bp-meds-091028.odt

    OpenOffice no longer treats it as read only. It should not have
    taken me that long to find the problem but I thought it was
    something in the OpenOffice configuration and wasted time on that
    tangent.

Thanks for the help.

Bob