Can't edit text -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Oct 28 23:00:13 UTC 2009

On 28/10/09 17:12, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>>     I have two completely updated F-11 computers in which the OpenOffice
>>     word processor is nearly useless because I can't edit anything?
>>
>>     I can open a document and copy it to a new file but it doesn't trust
>>     me to change anything, a matter of permissions perhaps but I can't
>>     see where to change it.
>>
>>     Am I alone in this, can anyone tell me what I need to do?
>>

> Have you checked SELinux: do you have setroubleshoot installed?
>
> James.

I guess I do, not sure how to tell but when I do locate "setroubleshoot"
it produces a long list of files. I haven't had any selinux error
messages since installing F-11.

My problems appear to occur when I transfer files via sftp. That changed
the owner to root. I created a new directory as user "bobg" and moved
the files to it, then removed the original directory and recreated it as
bobg and put the files back in and things work normally. I imagine all
that really needs to be done is to change the owner, the permissions
were ok.

Things are working and I know how to cause the problem, another case of
knowing what doesn't work. I'm sure it is the result of doing something
wrong with sftp. That will take some more investigation I've transferred
a lot of iles that way without a problem?

Bob