two major failures after yesterday updates - anyone else

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 09:14:53 UTC 2009

I have had an unprecented pair of events last night and this morning - two
machines (both Dell Inspiron 530s desktops) have died completely (
unbootable) - having been running on f11 very successfully for some time. I
had no reason to suspect the hardware at all and both were running fine from
new a couple of years ago - but I am now wondering if this has anything to
do with updates that came in on 28th October. The new kernel and a number of
other updates were installed yesterday morning on both machines. Both were
also using ext4 files systems.

I would like to know if this is a chance event or related to kernel changes,
particularly related to ext4?

If nobody else has anything remotely similar happen then I will conclude
that I am just very very unlucky  -  but I would like to know if anybody
else has had a mysterious total failure of their system in the past 24
hours.