FC11 logging in as root - FC10 change not enough?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Oct 30 13:21:07 UTC 2009

Dave Cross wrote:
> 2009/10/30 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:
>
>> Dave Cross wrote:

>>> You really don't.

>>> I think you need to understand the difference between "su" and "su -".
>>>
>>> But really you need to get to grips with "sudo" as a better
>>> replacement for "su".
>>>
>>> Steps I always take on a new Fedora box to make my life easier.
>>>
>>> 1/ "su -" to become root.
>>> 2/ "visudo" to edit the sudoers file.
>>> 3/ Uncomment the first line referencing the "wheel" group.
>>> 4/ Save the file.
>>> 5/ Edit "/etc/groups" to add myself to the wheel group.
>>> 6/ Exit from "su -".
>>>
>> Is this better than just adding your userid to the sudoers file?
>>

> There's almost certainly a good reason for doing it this way that I've
> forgotten in the mists of time. Some ideas that spring to mind:
>
> * This has been a standard Unix approach for as long as I can
> remember. I was doing this on HP-UX systems almost twenty years ago.
> * I can use the same method on my own desktop as I use on a larger
> system where I want to give rights to multiple people.
> * I only need to edit sudoers once. From then on I can control
> permissions simply by editing membership of the group (which can be
> done with a GUI tool as well as by editing the text file).

OK.  So I enable group wheel with visudo.  Then I look into adding me to
the group.

I see the following files in /etc that have group wheel: group, group-,
gshadow, and gshadow-

You only said to add to group.

With just an editor like VI?   I went to System>Administer>'Users and
Groups' and went to the Groups tab.  Wheel is NOT listed there.