[OT] any good online doc for the details of compiling "hello, world"?

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Fri Oct 30 21:29:41 UTC 2009

On 10/31/2009 01:07 AM, steve wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 10:59 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>  On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>
>>  [...snip...]
>>     that doesn't go as deep as i'd like.  actually, after i thought
>>  about it a bit longer, i realized that i'd like a document that gets
>>  into the details of gcc debugging and optimization in the sense of
>>  actually *explaining* it.  it's one thing to read the gcc manual to
>>  see what options are available, but it's quite another to truly
>>  understand what they all represent.
>>
>>     does such a document exist?
>
> How about http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/gcc/

Sorry i was too quick in replying. On re-reading your mail i realized that you
weren't really looking for an high level overview of what gcc does.

Anyways, with regards to the debugging gcc and optimization you might find these
links useful:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/grc/gccdocs.html
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GNU_C_Compiler_Internals
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/

and with regards to a document which explains the details of compiling "hello,
world", i've never really come across something like that (although I've
searched for it). Compilers are complex beasts and the gcc more so. GCC is after
all a compiler _collection_.

For just a usage reference, i guess books like these might help:

http://shop.fsf.org/product/using-gcc-gnu-compiler-collection-reference-manual/
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/

I haven't read either of them tho' so I'm just guessing here.

cheers,
- steve

--
random non tech spiel: http://lonetwin.blogspot.com/