Am I being punished?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Tue Sep 1 13:14:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 20:36 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> So, when you installed Fedora, did you carefully uncheck that little box
> that says "System Clock uses UTC"? Windows does not really understand
> UTC or handle it very well. The solution is to go to the System -->
> Administration --> Date and Time application, click the Time Zone tab,
> uncheck the Clock Uses UTC box, click OK, reboot the machine, go into
> your BIOS and set the hardware clock correctly if need be. That should
> fix things.

You need to be careful about using local time.

      * Linux on local time will adjust for DST if it is running at the
        time of the change, but will not adjust if booted after the
        change.
      * Windows will account for the change if running, but will also
        attempt to adjust if booted after the change.  If the adjustment
        was already made by Linux, this will force your clock to be off
        by an hour.
      * Linux on UTC always handles DST correctly.
      * Windows can be set to not adjust, but must be set user by user.
      * There is a registry setting for Windows to make it use UTC
        correctly.  I don't have it handy, but it is on the Web and in
        the archives for this list.  It is accompanied by warnings that
        some programs could misbehave, but I haven't experienced any.

My strategy (before I tried the Windows UTC setting) was to use UTC for
the hardware clock and Linux, set Windows to use the GMT timezone, and
turn off all DST adjustments in Windows.  Now I use UTC in both.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu