In the news: Soon to be published, Skype back-door trojan code?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Sep 1 21:46:51 UTC 2009

On 08/29/2009 12:30 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> [perhaps off topic, but interesting security implications?]
>
> I wonder if backdoors are installed to comply with
> government & law enforcement requirements.  In the US,
> Sen. Jay Rockefeller proposes to allow the POTUS to shutdown
> public & private Internet for any reason they want?
>
> Well back to Skype in the news:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/28/skype_trojan_source_code/
>
> Fact or hype?
>
> FWIW,
> Dan

More 'In the news...', Skype included...  read on down the
page where it's possible that Skype can remotely view
and listen via your webcam.  Guess if one does not know
what is proprietarily written in code, it can't hurt you?
One could be wrong.  I have purged Skype from all of
my systems, thanks, but no thanks - Open source please? ;)

_http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/1531895/new-breed-spycams-pose-threat-privacy

Dan