KDE clock settings

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 23:19:17 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com>:
> Sharpe, Sam J wrote:

>>> So, is your solution that a reinstall should be done to fix this
>>> problem?  :-)
>>>

>> Setting "System Clock uses UTC" converts to this in /etc/sysconfig/clock:
>>
>> UTC=true
>>
>> So the answer is edit /etc/sysconfig/clock as root, change that to
>> false, reboot and get on with the rest of your life.
>>

> Of course....if you read the thread you'd see that I'd already provided
> a solution...  :-)

Heck - if only I had time for that! Since changing jobs, I only get a
chance to read the odd email and I admittedly didn't check the whole
history on this.

> I'm not certain who you are directing the "get on with the rest of your
> life" comment....but don't you think suggesting that the solution lies
> within the installation dialog just a tag bit of overkill?

Err, not directed at anyone in particular and no offence intended!

I didn't see who suggested you could only do it in the installation
dialog, but they are wrong and that is definitely overkill.

> As for the UTC=true...I have my doubts about that.  While I didn't do
> any extensive research, I found that checking the UTC box in the Gnome
> clock utility did *not* alter that file to include that phrase...at
> least not with my time zone....but maybe that is due to my time zone not
> having DST.

I don't have UTC=*  it set on my Fedora laptop, but I see it all the
time at Work on RHEL machines. Frequently Tech's update the timezone
by linking a new one from /etc/localtime, but don't update
/etc/sysconfig/clock so their changes get overwritten on the next
update of tzdata - I'm very familiar with fixing that and I'm sure
that setting the correct value of TIMEZONE and UTC in this file as
well as copying the right tzdata file to /etc/localtime is enough to
convince a server of what timezone it resides in.

But then I live in the right timezone, so when I'm not using DST, I am
in UTC ;o)

> The bottom line is that the obvious utility which I looked at, as other
> people did too, did not have a check box for that setting and a bugzilla
> has been written.

Fair enough - as mentioned, I didn't have time to read the whole thread!

Have a good evening,

Sam