Amarok Cover Manager Dead

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Sep 2 23:59:09 UTC 2009

On 09/02/2009 12:25 PM, Brian Blater wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Daniel B. Thurman<dant at cdkkt.com>  wrote:

>>> Latest, 2.1.1. Had another reply saying yes, it was dead.
>>> rh
>>>
>> Ok.  I am using v1.4x ported from someone on the
>> Internet and Cover Manager does not work either.
>>
> Yes, it is broken in v1.4.10 also. There is a patch available, but I
> haven't had time to install it. Do a search for
> amarok-1.4.10.coverfetcher.diff.gz.
>
>> I hated v2.x due to a different look&  feel, limited
>> functionality&  features but more importantly,
>> it killed my gdm.  Not very nice.
>>
> Let me know how it works for you if you try the patch.
>
> Brian

As far as I can tell, the patch does not work for me.  I checked
to make sure that the patches were applied (they were), and
clicking on the "Fetch Missing Covers" button, it never found
a single cover image out of 957 missing covers.

I did not install the built amarok in the usual places and
for testing purpose, I tried to run the executable directly
from a terminal window and got:

# ./BUILD/amarok-1.4.10/amarok/src/loader/amarok
Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use
amarokapp.
kbuildsycoca running...
QLayout "unnamed" added to QVBox "unnamed", which already has a layout
QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout
for PlaylistWindow/PlaylistWindow
QObject::connect: Incompatible sender/receiver arguments
     StarManager::ratingsColorsChanged() -->
ContextBrowser::ratingOrScoreOrLabelsChanged(const QString&)

I obtained the patch from:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=76607

Maybe you will have better luck than me?