So far I am not impressed with F11

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:32:24 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009 12:41 AM, s wrote:
> On 09/02/2009 01:38 PM, Randall J. Berry wrote:
>> So far F11 has been nothing short of a pain for me. I have had more
>> issues with this one release than I have for all of the preceding
>> releases combined.
>>

>> Next comes the issues with streaming audio or video. Since the update
>> of Firefox 3.1 to 3.1.1 all streaming media (youtube and the like)
>> played through the browser crashes at random points within the stream
>> usually locking up the browser for a period of time and the
>> audio/video does not return to normal. I tried to uninstall Firefox
>> 3.1.1 and reinstall Firefox 3.1 but that did not work Firefox simply
>> ceased to work.
>>

> Streaming video was crashing for me too. After trying the different
> plugins (Adobe flash, swfdec, xine-plugin) rolling back the
> nspluginwrapper to version 1.3.0-5 fixed the problem.

Don't get me wrong, but I find people tend to stick to their old ways
and bork up their system trying to do things they _think_ is the _right_
way to do just because they have been doing it that way for *a long*
time. That doesn't mean something is broken.

For starters, all this business about flash and multimedia, earlier ugly
hacks like wrappers or binary w32 codecs were the _only_ way to go. But
lately that is not the case. Modern linux distributions _do not_ require
packages like libflashsupport or nspluginwrapper to meet the usual
requirements of an user. Most of the time its these which cause the problem.

If the people having problems could be more specific and descriptive
about their problems then those of us with everything _just working_
could try to help. I for one have an almost perfect experience other
than an unstable session manager for XFCE.

This is what I have installed for my "almost perfect" setup:
for multimedia,

> yum list installed \*gstreamer\*
> Loaded plugins: keys, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
> Installed Packages
> gstreamer.x86_64                          0.10.24-1.fc11      @updates
> gstreamer-ffmpeg.x86_64                   0.10.8-1.fc11       @rpmfusion-free-updates
> gstreamer-plugins-bad.x86_64              0.10.13-6.fc11      @rpmfusion-free-updates
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras.x86_64       0.10.13-6.fc11      @rpmfusion-free-updates
> gstreamer-plugins-base.x86_64             0.10.23-3.fc11      @updates
> gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux.x86_64     0.10.15-6.fc11      installed
> gstreamer-plugins-good.x86_64             0.10.15-4.fc11      @updates
> gstreamer-plugins-schroedinger.x86_64     1.0.7-1.fc11        @updates
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly.x86_64             0.10.12-2.fc11      @rpmfusion-free-updates
> gstreamer-python.x86_64                   0.10.16-1.fc11      @updates
> gstreamer-tools.x86_64                    0.10.24-1.fc11      @updates
> phonon-backend-gstreamer.x86_64           4.3.1-6.fc11        @updates
> totem-gstreamer.x86_64                    2.26.3-1.fc11       @updates

> yum list installed \*player\*
> Loaded plugins: keys, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
> Installed Packages
> gecko-mediaplayer.x86_64       0.9.6-1.fc11                   @rpmfusion-free-updates
> gnome-mplayer.x86_64           0.9.6-2.fc11                   @rpmfusion-free-updates
> gnome-mplayer-common.x86_64    0.9.6-2.fc11                   @rpmfusion-free-updates
> mplayer.x86_64                 1.0-0.109.20090329svn.fc11     @rpmfusion-free
> mplayer-doc.x86_64             1.0-0.109.20090329svn.fc11     @rpmfusion-free

> yum list installed \*dirac\*
> Loaded plugins: keys, presto, refresh-packagekit, verify
> Installed Packages
> dirac.x86_64                             1.0.2-2.fc11                         @fedora
> dirac-libs.x86_64                        1.0.2-2.fc11                         @fedora

As for flash, the only thing I have is the 64 bit plugin and it has
never failed on me.

> lt /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/
> total 9.6M
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root   41 2009-06-04 16:42 libjavaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/libjavaplugin.so.x86_64
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  86K 2009-06-05 12:09 gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  86K 2009-06-05 12:09 gecko-mediaplayer.so
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  86K 2009-06-05 12:09 gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  86K 2009-06-05 12:09 gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  86K 2009-06-05 12:09 gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 6.6K 2009-07-10 06:57 librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
> -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 9.2M 2009-08-01 17:27 libflashplayer.so

Hopefully I haven't come on too strong, but I am sick and tired of all
the ranting in the recent months and hope that this will help someone
get started towards a "perfect" setup on Fedora.

PS: Even pulseaudio works here, it has worked almost flawlessly since
F10. (don't ask me how tho)

--
Suvayu