Fedora compile dependence problem

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Sat Sep 5 00:16:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:13:29 -0500
John Nissley<jnissley nissley org>  wrote:

>  I still have the issue when trying to do that.  Same error.  For some
>  reason it appears to be trying to load the 32 bit version of
>  glibc-common even though the 64 bit version is installed.
>
>  On 09/04/2009 10:33 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>  >  John Nissley on 09/04/2009 07:02 AM wrote:
>  >
>  >>  Any help would be appreciated.
>  >>
>  >>
>  >  yum install qt-devel.x86_64
>  >

I have this problem during updates when there is a component on the
system that needs an older version of something yum wants to update.  It
decides to install the 64 bit version of the updated component, and try
to install the 32 bit version to meet the dependency requirement for the
already installed component that needs an older version.

Basically you are stuck unless you remove the already installed
component and thus allow the update to occur, or until the installed
component that needs an older version gets an update that has a
dependency on the new version.  Sometimes this is just a timing issue,
that the updated version of the component holding up the other updates
hasn't yet made it to the mirrors.

I hope that makes sense.  It is kind of convoluted.

I have been through it before and usually just remove the offending package
like you stated.  The only problem is that trying to remove glibc-common
wants to remove almost 200 packages and some of them look important so I
am not going that route this time.  I have even tried to go down one version
and that also did not work.  It appears that glibc-common has the Fedora
Project as the packager so I guess I will just need to wait. I like to keep
current with the updates but sometimes it bites you in the butt.

Thanks for the info i just wish there was an elegant way to back out of this.