ati drivers fail -- migrating to ubuntu

Kevin Abbey kevinabbey at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 22:52:29 UTC 2009

Thank you Bruno,

I agree with your comments.

However, I think that the AMD proprietary driver does work already in
all of these fedora versions.  I am under the impression that the
install and build procedures within the driver packages are flawed for
fedora builds, thus the maintainer has not attended to this for 2
years or I have not found the correct documentation as to how to
complete the build and install correctly.  As I mentioned earlier I
spent some time to extract the package and find the section to build
the kernel module.  I built it ok but did not get through the rest of
the build package and did not successfully load the module.  I did
notice some problem with an option "verbose" within one of the build
files.  This caused the the build to run on using 100% of the cpu and
never completing.

The proprietary driver installed for me on Ununtu 9.0.4 with no
problem.  So I am leaning in the direction that in the proprietary
driver, the section to build the driver for fedora is broken.  I can
understand if AMD could not support the development kernel but the
person that maintains the build section in their distributed driver
package is not in AMD.  How does he get this to work?

Kevin