nfsnobody ?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Sep 8 09:46:16 UTC 2009

On 08/09/09 05:29, Jussi Lehtola wrote:

> It seems the user mapping failed and thus the default guest user
> 'nfsnobody' was used to access the server. (r/w as guest is a possible
> security issue.)
>
> If you can't list the directories all the way down, the permissions
> aren't correct. You can run
>   # chmod o=rX -R /path/to/photos
> to give users not in the nfsnobody group read access to the photos (and
> the necessary execute permissions to the directories). To change the
> ownership run
>   # chown someuser: -R /path/to/photos

    One thing that puzzles me is that I can put files on the server from
    this F-11 box without a hitch, permissions just work but her Mac is
    showing up with the "nfsnobody" files? I guess I need to find why
    that's happening, my problem or hers?

    Ok, I will look at these things again but even using "su -" it
    didn't let me chown to bobg?

    I'll have a go at t again later.

    Thank you.

    Bob