bad PNGs, thunderbird and firefox

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Sep 8 20:07:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:47:39 -0400
brian <fedora at logi.ca> wrote:

> On 09/03/2009 10:45 PM, stan wrote:

> > Are the distortions consistent?  i.e. do the same icons and images
> > always have the same distortion?
>
> Yes & no. Sometimes, both apps display things just fine. But, when

This really sound like an intermittent bug in firefox and thunderbird,
given the other information below.

> > What if you save an image that is distorted and open it with an
> > image viewer?  Still distorted?
>
> I opened an example image from FF in both GIMP and EoG and it was
> displayed fine.

Seems it isn't the video driver then.

> > What if you start firefox in safe mode?
> > firefox -safe-mode
> > (bad option design!).
>
> Once I came across a bad image in FF, I restarted in safe mode and
> browsed back to it. It was still bad. (It's "--safe-mode", btw)

Actually, it isn't.  From the mozilla web site,

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

Linux

On Linux, you can go to your Terminal and run (for Firefox):

        * /path/to/firefox/firefox -safe-mode

It probably accepts the --safe-mode as well.  It isn't like Firefox
is going to have lots of options from the command line anyway.  I was
just being peevish.