firefox file-upload broken?

brian fedora at logi.ca
Tue Sep 8 22:52:56 UTC 2009

On 09/08/2009 06:38 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> F10, firefox-3.0.13. Don't know if this is a firefox or fedora firefox bug.
>
> Any web developers out there???
>
> Given this html:

> View that in the browser and you will see an input text box with a
> "Browse" button.
>
> Click inside the text box.
>
> If your experience matches mine it will act as if the "Browse" button
> has been pressed and a "File Open" dialog box opens. That is broken with
> a capital F!

How so?

> Unfortunately, this means it is no longer possible to drag an image onto
> a file upload box and have its file location entered into the text input
> box. Instead the image replaces the current page.

I'm not following your logic here. How does the one result in the other?
For that matter, was it *ever* possible to drag an image onto a file
input and have the path appear?

> So that means forget about plugging in your USB camera and drag-and-drop
> your pictures onto a form. Gramma's just gonna have to learn about file
> systems. Ummmmmm, no. Can't much see that happening ;(
>
> Surprising to see this hasn't been noticed yet (that I know). Does
> anybody know if this is supposed to be the new behavior or is this just
> a mistake that hasn't been caught?

If the functionality you describe did exist at one time, perhaps it was
removed due to security concerns. It should be simple enough to go back
through the release notes of the last few versions to find out.

http://en-US.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.5.2/releasenotes/