help __ HAL not finding mouse or kb at logon window

Thomas Fisher thomasfisher at ak.net
Fri Sep 11 07:19:52 UTC 2009

Initially: Intel MB, P4 D, dual boot Ubuntu and Fedora 10

  Have been running trouble free until recently when I started a FC 11
upgrade. The upgrade seemed to run trouble free, until the final phase
(following the reboot} at this point received a [ Out of Scan Range ]. I have
a Nvidia board. Not knowing how to proceed I rebooted into FC 10, which
seemed to work ok. I´m documenting this part of the sequence as it may have
significance as to that which follows.
  I continued to use the machine in my normal use, and googling for how to
handle the FC 11 problem. It was about this time my logitech usb mouse stared
becoming difficult, like when the battery is low. A recharge seemed to help
some, and I just causally assumed that it may be new mouse time. However a
short time after that after a fresh boot, neither the keyboard or mouse were
not recognized. Booting into a command line, a lsusb indicated that the mouse
was there. Checking the logs in /var I was not able to isolate anything
certain. At this point I was suspecting that the HAL was not running
correctly, though truthfully I was uncertain as to what I might be looking
for.
  Then I tried booting into Ubuntu, but had the same kb and mouse trouble. I
tried another mouse but the problem remained. Thus I came to the conclusion
that I had isolated the problem as being the Intel board, and I ordered a new
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. Now 3 - 4 weeks later I am having the same boot
problem with the new board!
During that period I have been using the keyboard and mouse on a backup
machine with no problem.
At this point I am in need of fresh thoughts.
Thanks Tom