unable to login after getting system update of X11 in fedora 11

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Sep 12 21:54:55 UTC 2009

Bernd Knöttig writes:

> Germán Racca schrieb am, 12.09.2009 07:04:

>>> ok....   How do I downgrade to previous version of xorg-x11-server
>>> ......  step by step guide ?????
>>
>> yum downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
>>

> Prior to this you have to perform a "yum install
> yum-plugin-allowdowngrade". Be carfull not to make a re-update with next
> yum-update.

Alternatively, disable desktop effects/compiz. The breakage seems to be with
compiz barfing, which kicks you out of X.

It's kinda hard to disable desktop effects when you can't even log in. Flip
over to ALT-F2 and log in to the console.

cd $HOME/.gconf/desktop/gnome/session/required_components

There should be a lone %gconf.xml there. Edit it, and carefully snip out the
<entry> part that contains a <stringvalue> with compiz-gtk. If it's the only
<entry>, just remove the entire file.

This allowed me to log in without having to downgrade xorg. No eye candy any
more, of course.