Kernel configuration to boot from /dev/VolGroup00/LogGroup0

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at
Sun Sep 13 09:11:44 UTC 2009

I've been experimenting with building my own kernels from the upstream
Linus tree. I can't get the kernel to boot though as it doesn't like
the Fedora style root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogGroup0 mount syntax. If I
pass it root=/dev/sda2 it complains it doesn't know what type of
filesystem to mount.

fdisk says my system looks like:

dev/sda1   *           1          25      200781   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              26       19457   156087540   8e  Linux LVM

What are the kernel config elements I need for Linux LVM? Is this an
out of tree patch set or some magic in initrd needed? I was trying to
avoid either.

Alex, homepage: