Orinoco_cs WiFi under kernel-2.6.30

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 13 22:43:21 UTC 2009

My classic Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card has not been working
under Fedora-11/KDE (with WEP) for some time.
Does anyone have this card working under Fedora?
It works perfectly under Windows XP.

I see in /var/log/messages that
the firmware agere_sta_fw.bin cannot be found;
but if this file is in fact required
I don't understand why it is not provided with the orinoco_cs module?

Rather frighteningly, I read this remark from Dan Williams,
who seems to be one of the two orinoco_cs developers:
"Since the WE-18 support in orinoco is so new,
I'm not really surprised that
it could be failing for WEP or open networks."

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net