F11: UTF-8 Locale issue

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Sep 14 02:34:39 UTC 2009

On 09/13/09 19:06, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 08:58 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
>> I manually typed in: system-config-language
>> and the default was the first top item in the
>> list, i.e. Afrikaans (South America) and this
>> was somehow the default set during installation
>> of F11 even though the installer told me it was
>> correctly set to English (USA).
>>
> Two things spring to mind:
>
> As I said to Anne, perhaps the installation option only sets settings
> pertaining to doing the installation, not what happens with the new
> system.
>
> Have you, now, changed the defaults, and did it work?

Please bear with me if I seem dense. What do you
mean by if I have >>changed the defaults<<???

What is the defaults? How can I tell.

I already said that when I first started system.config.language
that the "default" was set to Afrikaan or at least this item
was highlighted, assumed that this "default" is wrong and
proceeded to change this item to: "English (USA)", and closed
the program.

Did it work?

I am still seeing the following in the system logs:

Sep 13 08:46:14 <hostname> ntfs-3g[7707]: Could not convert filename to
Unicode: 'Clavier-B�chlein F�r Anna Maguire': Invalid or incomplete
multibyte or wide character

I do not see this sort of error message in F9, using the
same exact filesystem drive/partition. I compared F9 &
F11 /etc/sysconfig/i18n as follows:

In F9:
LANG="en_US.utf8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

In F11:
# LANG=C considerably speeds up boot (measured 5sec) -- bernie
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

They are pretty much same except for that weird commented
out LANG=C line, for which I never put there.

It is possible that the system log message is not
a "locale" issue and points to something else,
I dunno...