Can't upgrade f10 to f11: X startup failed, detected GPU lockup

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 05:17:44 UTC 2009

I'm trying to install/upgrade a system currently running F10 to F11
(64-bit AMD, 4MB ram).

The anaconda graphical install fails, and it always falls back to
the text mode install.  I have to use the graphical mode, because
I need partitioning/LVM/LUKS options that the text mode
does not support.

This system worked fine with both F9 and F10.  I'm using the
on-board graphics chip on the motherboard (ASUS M2NBP-VM CSM)
which is supposedly an nVidia GeForce 6150LE.

Anyway during the early F11 anaconda install it always outputs:
  WARNING :  X startup failed, falling back to text mode

Looking at the X.log file, I have these excerpts:

==== X.log ====
Kernel command line: initrd=initrd.img BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz
Build Date: 18 May 2009  02:47:15PM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.6.1.901-1.fc11
(--) PCI:*(0 at 0:5:0) nVidia Corporation C51 [Quadro NVS 210S/GeForce 6150LE] rev
162, Mem @ 0xfc000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xfb000000/16777216, BIOS
@ 0x????????/131072
(II) NOUVEAU driver
(II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
        GeForce 6   (NV4x)
(--) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV4E"
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on vga encoder (output 0)
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on tmds encoder (output 1)
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on CRTC 0
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on CRTC 1
(II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting dpms mode 3 on CRTC 0

Fatal server error:
Detected GPU lockup

==== End X.log ====

Does anybody have any idea what may have changed in F11, and how
I can get the graphical installer to run like it did in previous releases?
--
Deron Meranda