unable to login after getting system update of X11 in fedora 11

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 17:53:46 UTC 2009

2009/9/14 Jatin K <ssh.fedora at gmail.com>:
> On 09/14/2009 02:15 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Sunday 13 September 2009 10:49 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>>> In /etc/yum.conf add a line:
>>> exclude=xorg-x11-server-Xorg
>>> Or extend an existing "exclude" line by ",xorg-x11-server-Xorg"
>> As a note, this also means you won't be able to update this package even
>> when the bug is fixed, without editing this line again. Isn't running
>> without desktop effects a more practical solution here?
> that is good solution ...but here with me , if I disable desktop effects my
> firefox and all video players ( vlc, banshee, rhythmbox)   goes mad ...
> firefox cannot handle the flash video and all video players cannot play
> video file ... say if I go to www.youtube.com ( after disabling the desktop
> effects ) and try to watch the video ... video gates scramble ...dots and
> linings only ..... if I play any video files with any above said video
> players they cannot play the video file again garbage video ......   if I
> re-enable the desktop effects forefox and all the players  runs fine without
> any
> problem. I 've already posted this problem before sometime on this list but
> didn't get the solution :-(

Its usually the other way, video playback gets affected adversely when
compiz is turned on! Thats very strange. I guess for your
circumstances using the exclude option would be the best. However you
should remember to check from time to time whether there has been an
update for xorg-x11-server-Xorg. Its a very crucial package, you
should avoid not updating it only as long its absolutely necessary for
your box to stay usable.