Question on using a Joystick as a mouse in Fedora please?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 14 18:14:23 UTC 2009

Rick Sewill wrote:

> I wish to avoid getting carpal tunnel syndrome.
> I noticed, when I use regular mice, I have poor hand position.
> So far, my wrist is okay...but it gets red if I'm not careful.
>
> I was thinking, it might be better for me,
> if I could use a joystick as a mouse.

cts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

my experience of fighting cts

when i first started with micro computers, s100 days, i made a wrist rest with
a three layer of rolled bubble wrap with a hand towel wrapped around it,
because of rough edge of plywood bench keyboard was on. later, i made up a
small one to rest my wrist on for mouse.

years later, when doctors discover problems of nerve compression, i was glad
that i that i started with a c/d grade board for bench.

when gel pads came out, i got a long one that allows me to use it for both
keyboard and a logitech thumb marble.

i bought thumb marble when it first came out and does not have a scroll
wheel. holding down button and moving marble works great for dragging a
scroll bar.

when viewing web pages with firefox and email with thunderbird, a center key
click on page brings up a 'scroll target' that allows up/down, left/right
scrolling.

so, even tho you have a joystick, get a thumb marble, which works better than
a finger marble [i have tried both] an enjoy using computer with a minimum
of hand movement when 'mousing'.

i payed $50 for mine, but they can be found on ebay, $5 used to $20 nib.

i have recommended them to my friends and one who has both a mid tower and
laptop has one for each.

another thing to consider, take a break every couple hours at keyboard and
twist your wrist up/down, side to side and move them in circles along with
wiggling and bending your fingers. doing same with arms, elbows and shoulders
and neck also helps. getting up and moving around and bending is good also.

just my 2 cents worth, but it has provided me with near to 35 years of
enjoyable computing time and no cts.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.