Fedora version

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 21:47:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:06:09PM +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Rajendra Sakpal wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> Not Paul, but…

That's me! :-)

> > I need some suggestion or input from you.  Which architecture type did you
> > choose for your installation on i7-920 processor? Please refer the table
> > below.
> >
> >  Intel (except Atom 230, Atom 330, Core 2 Duo, Centrino Core2 Duo, and
> > recent vintage Xeon); AMD (except Athlon 64, Athlon x2, Sempron 64, and
> > Opteron); VIA C3, C7 i386  Intel Atom 230, Atom 330, Core 2 Duo, Centrino
> > Core 2 Duo, and Xeon; AMD Athlon 64, Athlon x2, Sempron64, and Opteron;
> > Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air x86_64  Apple Macintosh G3, G4,
> > G5, PowerBook, and other non-Intel models ppc
> Whatever email client you’re using, it made a *mess* of that table in
> plain text!

Really? It looked OK for me, but I'm using mutt and rendering tables
using 'links -dump'.

> You don’t want ppc. It won’t work on your system.
> Either i386 or x86_64 will work well for you. x86_64 (64 bit) will be
> slightly faster (normally, although it’s not noticeable), and will be
> able to use more than 3 GB of RAM in one program. (I notice you say
> you’ve got 8 GB – lucky person!)
> i386 may be easier to get working with some non-Fedora software, if that
> matters to you.
> I’ve been on x86_64 since 2005.

My box is on x86_64.  Anything Core2 Duo or newer from Intel will run
x86_64 just fine, and the RAM statement above is spot-on.  Although I
tend to avoid non-Fedora software, I haven't had any problems making
e.g. Flash, Skype (eeww!), or other such guff run on other people's