F11: x86_64: Different boot styles

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Sep 15 00:15:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:45:23 -0400
lanas wrote:

> What is the mechanism that lead to these two
> different approaches ?

That is different video driver support for the kernel "modesetting"
(whatever that is :-). I'll wager the machines have different
brand video cards.

Speaking of mode setting, is there any legitimate reason for
dragging stuff like that into the kernel? Isn't that normally
the sort of thing that gets moved out of the kernel?

Is it trying to prepare for the coming of BIOS free computers
or something? I've never really understood what there is to
gain from it.