F11: NetworkManager woes

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Sep 16 09:41:57 UTC 2009

Phil Meyer wrote:

> If you are NOT a laptop, then please, please follow the advice already
> given and simply revert to NM off and network services on.

I don't think this is sensible advice unless NM is not working
on the desktop.
(Maybe that is what you mean?)
In my experience there are serious deficiencies with the network service.

> If you really want to make NM do all the right things, then tell it so
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[0-N].  Those files will
> always have precedence, and you can even tell NM to just use these files
> as is.

How do you know these files have precedence, as a matter of interest?
Is that documented anywhere?
(Also, if they have precedence, why do you have to tell NM to use them?
Or do you mean NM may change them if it wants to?)

> You can put DNS in there too, so that network services will
> create for you exactly the resolv.conf you want.

How exactly do you put DNS in?
How do you know?

> You may have noticed that there are now two network administration
> applications: Network -- Network Device Control
>
> Network is the old one, and is used with the old network scripts.
> Network Device Control understands the additional syntax for the ifcfg
> scripts to work with Network Manager.  Give that one a play and see what
> it does to the config files: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth[0-N]

The main problem with NM is the complete lack of documentation.
For me, and I guess for most people, it works perfectly 95% of the time.
But on the 5% failures I have absolutely no idea what to do.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net