simple way to build rpm?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Sep 17 00:32:08 UTC 2009

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> It is just RIDICULOUS not to have an automated way to create RPMs.

Feel free to write such a tool.  Those that exist have various fatal
flaws.  I'd certainly never use checkinstall on my system nor would I
want anyone producing rpms with it for inclusion in Fedora. :)

> If I can download some source file, and then ./configure make and
> make install, this automated tool is perfectly capable of finding
> the base system, the files installed during the process, and the
> requirements.

Again, feel free to write it.  No one else has done a good job of this
yet.

> I just don't understand this *nix attitude that "complex is good".
> End users might want to create their own RPMs, too.

That's not the attitude here at all.  The point is that creating a
proper package requires just a little bit of knowledge of the
packaging system you are using.  Sure, you can often use tools that
automate some of this, but you need to understand how the system works
if you hope to be able to pick up where such tools fall short.

I could create a simple package in a few minutes these days.  For more
complex software, it might take a little longer, but it's still not at
all onerous a task.  And I started out as just such an end user that
wanted to create my own packages.

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought
which they avoid.
    -- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)