Disk/Partition encryption

Michael Weiner hunter at userfriendly.net
Fri Sep 18 17:27:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com>wrote:

> Weiner, Michael on 09/18/2009 12:03 PM wrote:
> > Recently my place of employment, thanks in part to new HIPAA regulations
> due to data theft, is requiring ALL laptops to be encrypted
>
> Do you have a link to this new regulation? I also work with HIPAA. I
> have not heard of this requirement yet.
>
> Michael -

Unfortunately our IT department just made that blanket statement in an email
a few weeks ago. Stating that in order to maintain compliance with HIPAA
requirements we were going to be instituting encryption on all clinic
laptops to protect the data in case of theft. No specific regulation or
register cited, which would be a help. On the windows side, its as easy as
deploying a product like Sophos' SafeGuard Easy or truecrypt. On Mac, its as
easy as using FileVault, but on linux, with a live system, i am stuck
looking for a solution. Now i did this on a live F10 box, but for the life
of me i cant remember how. The box has cryptsetup installed, the correct
ciphers, dm-*, all the stuff thats required. I hate getting OLD, LOL.

If i find out anything specific on the regulation, i will forward it along.

Thanks :)
Michael