Why does laptop battery show < 100% charge

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 21:34:54 UTC 2009

g wrote:
> james, this is not to insult or hurt your feelings, but, from what you have
> posted, you do not know much about batteries. especially when it comes to
> cycling, ie, charging and discharging.

I think you’ve got me confused with other posters.

> presuming that you battery is lithium-ion, you will not have 'memory' problems
> that ni-cad batteries have. but, you will have heat problems.
>
> it is for that reason that you should not have a battery, of either type on
> charge for a long time and then remove for a short time of discharge and then
> recharge again unless it has drop in level an appreciative amount.
>
> well designed chargers have circuitry to not apply a high charge rate until
> voltage level is below a predetermined amount, along with circuitry to
> monitor temperature and control high charge rate. cheap charges do not.
>
> in brief, ni-cad cells discharge with a tapered level over time then drop
> below usable level. lithium-ion maintain a level over time, then drop sharply.

Thank you. This is a helpful style of posting: reading it, I can easily
tell what your point is. If I didn’t know this already, I would come
away better informed.

> if jatin does not 'elucidate', i would not blame him. why should he write
> something that he has given you a link to read to find out what you need to
> know?

I understand that he gave the link for general information. That’s
great, and also very helpful. It would also be helpful in response to a
specific question.

But if you send someone to a self-styled “university” front page to make
one point – how are we supposed to know which point the poster is trying
to make? Yes, we can read the site, and also come away better informed –
but it’s a lot of work for *all* readers, when the poster could
summarize and save everybody else’s time.

So I was trying to make sure there wasn’t a point that needed to be
clarified.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | “We completely deny the allegations, and we’re trying to
aprilcottage.co.uk | identify the alligators.”