F11: Fedora's Netbeans, Eclipse, and Tomcat.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Sep 19 17:52:33 UTC 2009

On 09/19/2009 09:46 AM, jack craig wrote:
> slightly off topic, i wonder why, as i am a java newbie, you have
> netbeans and eclipse at the same time?
>
> i thought both were ide's? from a recent poll, i was going to try
> starting with NB first.
>
> next week am going to pull down nb to my fc11 and get started with
> some java intro, so more useful dialog then
>
> thx, jackc...

I explained in my other post that I use different 'tools' for
what I want to do.  NB has features that Eclipse does not and
vice versa.  I think Eclipse has some things that have nothing
to do with Java per-se, and so does NB to some degree, but I
see NB being mostly Java-centric which it was in the beginning,
but this is changing all the time.

As NB gets better and better and so does Eclipse.  Eclipse users
say that they love it and still do, but with all sorts of bugs creeping
in, or certain "features" seem counter-intuitive, or other gripes,
when at first compared Eclipse against with NB which was "still in it's
infancy" at the time,  stayed on Eclipse, but when NB was greatly
improved with bug-fixes and more features, Eclipse users switched
over to NB.  Perhaps the same can be said of NB users switching
over to Eclipse?

I see this sort of "flip-flop" going on, and its tarting to look like
musical chairs. If NB gets bugs or is lacking in something
they want or need, then perhaps one will flip back to Eclipse
and vice versa, so round-robin it it goes? Perhaps.

I started with Eclipse first before using NB, so there is
probably a bit of bias there, although I am ignorant of it.

I do not, however favor one 'tool' over another as many
have complained endlessly about the particulars - and
probably will continue to do so.  It's like the flame wars
over which "os/tool" is better than the other and it goes
on to no end.  It's a waste of time, imo.

Bottom line, choose the tool(s) that you are most familiar
with, meets your overall needs, and don't be afraid to try
other tools if it can aide towards getting your projects
completed, efficiently and bug-free as possible.

Happy learning and programming!
Dan