booting fedora 11 from a fedora 10 grub?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Sep 19 20:01:10 UTC 2009

On 09-09-19 12:05:20, James Allsopp wrote:
> So is there some sort of conversion in the initrd converting from the
> UUId to something conventional like /dev/sdb2,

No, the UUID is just looked at for each volume until a match is found
(or not).  Try the `blkid` command; see `man blkid`.

> and if so why doesn't just substituting /dev/sdb2 not work.

Perhaps that is not the correct name, or your "root" line is wrong.  It
is also possible that the UUID was changed when you reinstalled (though
it should not change unless you reformatted the drive).