noatime option for USB flash devices -- how??

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Sep 21 04:36:55 UTC 2009

Frank Elsner wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:14:40 -0500 Robert Nichols wrote:
>> How can I get hot-pluggable USB flash memory devices to mount
>> with the "noatime" option.  I've been searching all morning
>> and finding mostly references to outdated HAL keys, and I'm
>> not sure that playing with HAL policies is even the answer
>> since gnome-volume-manager is doing the actual mount.
>>
>> So, is there a way to do this, or has Gnome taken away yet
>> another feature?  I have some devices formatted ext2, and
>> really don't want to shorten their life by excessive writes
>> updating atime fields in the inodes.
>
> On my old FC6 I've modified /usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy/storage-policy.fdi
> On F11 YMMV.

The phrase, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away," comes
to mind.  That file does not exist in F11, or for that matter on
RHEL/Centos 5.3 (a direct derivative of FC6).  Info I've found
is that HAL no longer controls those mount options, and the good
folks that develop Gnome feel that mount options should not be
exposed to end users.

So, I have to do it the old way -- create static mount points
and populate /etc/fstab on all of my systems with a line for
each of my devices.  Apparently this is considered progress.

                 Do NOT delete it.