name server via dhcp, but don't want dhcp assigned addresses

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 13:39:07 UTC 2009

A quick search of the archives didn't turn up anything I could figure
out easily.

Background:

I have ADSL, with a "modem"/router that does filtering, dhcp, etc.
Since I want to refer to the boxes on the internal LAN (natted to
local-address subnet) by name, I have the router set to only
automatically allocate a piece of the subnet. Usually, all of the
internal machines have their IP addresses set statically, thus, to
addresses not included in the automatic portion of the subnet.

The WAN side of the router runs dhcp to my ISP, and gets the dns
server addresses by dhcp, as well.

In the past, the ISP had told us to set the primary and secondary dns
server addresses statically, so I had the router set to serve dhcp
with those address. But I have also set the dns primary and secondary
server addresses for all the boxes by hand to the dns servers
provided by my ISP, so that I was ignoring the dns servers provided
by the router.

Recently, my ISP (a middle-rank provider in Japan) sent around
notices that they were changing their setup, such that the dns
servers would be advertised by dhcp and subject to change. That is,
they said, more or less, "Clear the addresses you've set as your DNS
servers in the DCHP client dialogs" (with example screen shots of
Macs and MSWindows DHCP client dialogs) "so that you get the DNS
addresses provided by the DHCP servers."

On the Macs, there is an option to set the box as a DHCP client with
static IP address, so I can still keep that much of my lan intact.
But the Fedora boxes do not provide a static IP address client as a
setting in the standard dialogs, as far as I can tell.

So, my problem is that I need to tell each Fedora box to accept the
DNS server addresses provided by the DHCP server (the router,
actually, which worries me), but not ask for a host IP address for
itself, but the GUI dialogs in current Fedora don't provide that as
an option.

Am I just missing something there, or will I need to disable the GUI
and dig into text configuration files in /etc/dhclient.d? (nis.sh and
ntp.sh don't seem to be the files I need.)

Joel Rees