[Solved] Re: Why update Swahili?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Sep 24 00:37:04 UTC 2009

gilpel at altern.org wrote:
> Andras Simon wrote:

>>> So, if I write
>>>
>>> rm m17n*
>>>
>>> it will remove all instances of m17n...
>>>
>>> but, because yum is not a bash command, the * has to be escaped?
>> No. Neither are bash commands
>
> Well, in my book, rm is a bash command. It might not be exclusive to the
> bash shell, but it definitely is a bash command. Otherwise, maybe you
> could tell us what a bash command is to you?

"rm" is a command in /bin.  It may be used in sh, ksh, csh, bash or
almost any shell you care to mention.  It is _not_ a bash built-in.

That being said, there _are_ bash builtins which have equivalents in the
standard paths ("test" comes to mind, one in bash and one in /usr/bin"),
but "rm" isn't one of them.

> http://ss64.com/bash/

Try "man bash" first.  You'll see that "rm" isn't one of its commands.

>> 'rm *' will remove all files in the
>> current directory, but 'rm \*' will only remove the one whose name is
>> '*'. See any intro to unix in general and shells in particular.
>
> This much I know. What I didn't know what what would be the effect of
> escaping * with yum.
>
> I finally removed all the m17n paraphernalia with  a plain
>
> yum erase m17n*
>
> Thanks to all!

-     If you can't beat your computer at chess...try kickboxing!     -