Setup of DNS caching name server for home server

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 25 06:49:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:43:32 +0800,
  Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> Frankly....I'd recommend you use the "forwarders" approach since this
> will allow you to take advantage of the cache your ISP has collected and
> should result is quicker DNS responses.

That depends on your ISP. For some ISPs, using their cache is a bad thing.
There are some ISPs, for example, that change TTLs and that can cause
unexpected delays in propagation of updates. It's probably less likely
now, but in the past cache poisoning was a problem and your ISP's cache
make have bad data in it.