Setup of DNS caching name server for home server

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Sep 25 07:08:59 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:43:32 +0800,
>   Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>
>> Frankly....I'd recommend you use the "forwarders" approach since this
>> will allow you to take advantage of the cache your ISP has collected and
>> should result is quicker DNS responses.
>>

> That depends on your ISP. For some ISPs, using their cache is a bad thing.
> There are some ISPs, for example, that change TTLs and that can cause
> unexpected delays in propagation of updates. It's probably less likely
> now, but in the past cache poisoning was a problem and your ISP's cache
> make have bad data in it.

I would still take the "forwarders" route as a first choice and only
change if needed.  As you said, "it depends", and that is true of many
areas where choice is involved.  Kind of why YMMV is a good caveat.
FWIW, my experience only spans 4 ISPs in Asia and in all cases the
"forwarders" configuration worked well.

As an aside, I wonder why your email client seems to be ignoring the
"Reply-To:" in this list mails.  I'm "trained" to only use "Reply" with
this and other mailing lists and only just noticed that doing so
resulted in a "To:" to you only and I had to manually adjust.

--
Work Hard. Rock Hard. Eat Hard. Sleep Hard. Grow Big. Wear Glasses If
You Need 'Em. -- The Webb Wilder Credo Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7