Major problem with FC10 -> FC11 upgrade

John Graham johngavingraham at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:10:19 UTC 2009

Hello there - I've had a "bit of a problem" upgrading to FC11 on a
Dell Latitude E5500, I've googled but can't find anyone having
reported a similar problem.

I tried to upgrade by selecting the "upgrade to fedora 11" option in
the GRUB menu. Everything seemed to go okay - it downloaded a thousand
or so packages, said it was doing post-install "stuff" and so forth...
didn't see any error messages or anything alarming.

Now I'm having problems booting. /sbin/init starts and starts going
through the sysV init process in runlevel 5, all startup scripts show
an "OK" message except the the HAL daemon and the AVAHI daemon
startups, which both show "FAIL". However, it doesn't get through all
the startup scripts - halts after displaying an "OK" message for
starting proftpd.

Even though the startup process is hung, I can still ctrl+alt+f[2-6]
to at least login to a terminal.

Obviously, for the time being I've just reinstalled an earlier
version, but I still have the old partition up and running, so if
there's any useful information anyone would like me to gather to find
out why this happened/how to fix it I'd be happy to, since to be fair
this is a fairly major problem!

Also, is there someone else I should let know about this? Do all the
Fedora core developers subscribe to this list?

Thanks!

John G