[Solved] Re: Why update Swahili?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Fri Sep 25 21:17:29 UTC 2009

William Case wrote:

> A couple of tips from someone who was a newbie only a few years ago.
>
> 1) don't worry about the extra downloads.

I try not to, but these languages really seemed like an extreme case.

> 2) This is a tip I learned the hard way, but once I learnt it, it has
stood me in good stead.  To operate a bit more efficiently and
> effectively, take 4 hours, 2 hours for each program, and learn how to
use vim(vi) and emacs.

> Vim and Emacs are text editors, and great debates rage about which one
is the better.

I've used vim in the rare cases when I couldn't get to a graphic
interface, in which case I use gedit. I never bore too much attention to
the vim commands. Whenever I have to use it, I open a reference book.

It's not that I'm a nwe user, but I began using Linux when I was 50. At
this age, you have projects for whatever space is left in your brain where
vim and emacs commands are not involved.

> Don't get frustrated with the people on the list, they are really trying
to help.

Those people are the same who often blame you for not exactly being on
topic. Throwing shit in the fan is even less on topic to me. I'd rather do
without their advice; I don't generally find their terse
you-ought-to-know-better answers very useful.