Ebooks -- How?

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 28 00:22:29 UTC 2009

fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 03:49:52PM -0500, Mikkel wrote:
>> I like Baen Free Library, as well as Baen e-books.You can also
>> convert other types of e-books. rbburst will take apart unencrypted
>> Rocket e-books. There are programs to take apart Microsoft reader
>> book, Mobireader, as well as Palm doc format.
>>
>> My preference is to use the Open Book Format books - you can use the
>> .opf files to provide all the information needed. There is a Windows
>> program that runs under wine that will help you build them in
>> preparation of generating for creating .rb and .imp books. FBReader
>> is fussy about the syntax of the file - it does not like the format
>> of the file that is included with Baen HTML format e-books.
>
> From the Baen Free Library, I like to get the RTF form, then I can
> open it in OpenOffice.org and save it as a PDF, which can then be
> read pretty much anywhere. Of course, YMMV.

I do most of my reading on a Gemstar e-book reader. So I normally
generate a .opf file and a bunch of .html files. From there I can
create .imp files for the reader. I can convert directly from .rb
files, but I like to put in a gray-scale cover and a few other
things. I have a couple of bash and sed scripts that do most of the
work.

As I side affect, I can give the .opf file to FBreader and it
displays the book correctly (with a couple of exceptions). The nice
thing about .opf packages is that most book publishing programs will
accept them as input. (opf = Open Publishing Format)

Mikkel