Power cut woes

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Sep 28 15:13:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 16:05 +0100, Philip Heron wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an old PC running F10, setup to play a simple animation in a
> display. Nothing fancy. Yesterday the town was hit with a series of
> power cuts which seems to have well and truely mucked it up. I took a
> picture of the kind of errors I'm getting:
>
> http://www.bacomponents.co.uk/f10-startup-errors.jpeg
>
> The HAL bit sits for ages, then the screen blanks. X fails to start,
> trying to login on the console gives me a password error, and ssh fails
> to connect. I've run e2fsck on the disk and it seems fine.
>
> Should I just nuke it and start again? Or is there a handy way to fix it?
----
it should be a bit more graceful in handling this...

In the past, I have pressed <Control><C> to cancel the process, then
once it boots, I tell the system to restart and do not log in until it
has done a normal restart.

I think that there are many files left over from the abrupt shutdown
in /proc that have to be cleaned out which is why you are getting those
errors.

Craig

believed to be clean.