gnome-terminal question

bruce bedouglas at
Mon Sep 28 15:35:28 UTC 2009

hi dave...

thanks... went back, and rechecked the howto...

it was a user error! i had been using "003 instead of "033 .. gotta learn to

and yeah.. i know the system is a few versions back! 09 vs 10..

ps. know.. if i can figure out how to use the "gnome-terminal --execute
"foo" without having the "child process error msg" appear...

thanks again..

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at]On Behalf Of Dave Cross
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 7:42 AM
To: Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora.
Subject: Re: gnome-terminal question

2009/9/27 bruce <bedouglas at>:
> hey...
> trying to solve an issue on changing the title of the current
> session.
> how does one go about changing the title of the current gnome-terminal via
> the cmdline...
> i'm trying to figure out if you can use escape sequences, or modifying the
> profile for the terminal.
> trying some of the escape sequences from different web sites haven't
> worked...
> thoughts/comments/pointers appreciated...

Follow the instructions at You
don't say which shell you're using, but using the default bash shell,
you can do this:

$ echo -ne "\033]0;A New Title\007"

You'll probably need to unset the PROMPT_COMMAND value first;

> i'm running fedora 9

You know that's unsupported, right? I strongly recommend upgrading.

fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list at
To unsubscribe: