sed, awk, or something...help meeeeeeeeeee

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 19:07:47 UTC 2009

2009/9/28 Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca>:
> On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 19:33 +0100, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
>> Yes, but it involves reading the man page for sed - I'm not totally
>> sure you are capable of doing that.
>>
>> I suggest looking at the output of "man sed", finding the section
>> about the command "r" and then reading the next few lines.
>
> Oh my word.  I can't believe I missed that.  So, I've solved my little
> problem with this:
>
> sed '/BB/R file2' file1
>
> Sweet!

That alone doesn't fit your original specification:

[sam at samlap Desktop]$ sed -e '/BB/R file2' file1
AA
BB
BBBB1
CC
DD

AA
BB
BBBB2
CC
DD

You specified that BB was to be /replaced/ with BBBB1, so you will
need to do this:

[sam at samlap Desktop]$ sed -e '/BB/R file2' -e '/BB/d' file1
AA
BBBB1
CC
DD