snip extraneous quotes from your posts to the list, dammit

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:02:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Robert L Cochran
<cochranb at speakeasy.net>wrote:

> Here in the USA, I do not need to be ashamed for having a different view
> and a different way of doing things. I can have my own beliefs and
> practices.
>
> When you resort to threats of no help to me unless I toe the line you
> dictate to me, you illustrate what I'm getting at.
>
> It takes people with many different views to make a good product. If I
> banned everyone from my workplace who doesn't think as I do, then I'd be
> standing in the building alone. With nothing to show for it.
>
> Bob
>

> On 09/13/2009 10:35 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>

>>> Guidelines are voluntary.
>>>

>> So is providing help on the list. Not following the guidelines is a
>> good way to limit those willing to help you.
>>

>>> I don't crucify, burn at stake, hang, dismember or torture other list
>>> people for doing things differently. We do not live in the 1400s any
>>> longer.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I guess politeness has also gone out of style. Guidelines are to let
>> people know the way they are expected to behave in this community.
>> After all, things like changing you cloths, washing, etc are
>> voluntary. But you will have a hard time fitting in in most parts of
>> the world if this is the way you conduct yourself.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>

> Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:57:58AM -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Here in the USA, I do not need to be ashamed for having a different view
> and a different way of doing things. I can have my own beliefs and
> practices.

Dear Bob,

1.  please be considerate of volunteer effort, as it is very valuable,
and the enthusiasm required for it isn't infinite in each volunteer.

2.   Wasting  someones  time  with  excess  quoting  and  flaming   in
mailinglists is a good way to ensure that he'll loose his enthusiasm.

3.  One of the reasons that many lists have netiquettes and have added
top-posting to the list of things to avoid.

> When you resort to threats of no help to me unless I toe the line you
> dictate to me, you illustrate what I'm getting at.

 Here's another simple rule-of-3:

1. Feel  free  to continue like that.

2.  Others will feel free to killfile your address and thus won't ever
again see your emails.

3. Welcome to my killfile.

--
cu
Peter l Jakobi
lists at kefk.oa.shuttle.de

On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 09:52 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Do you give out tickets and fines, jail terms and excommunication for
> the crime of posting?

No, but you get properly roasted for being a pain in the butt.

Every post sent to this server is sent to hundreds, perhaps thousands,
of people.  You increase the workload (and bandwidth costs) of the
server whenever you (that's the collective "you") post piles of
unnecessary quoting.

You also antagonise everyone on the list who has to scroll through pages
of CRAP, yes UTTER crap, when some dingbat quotes everything to add just
three or four lines that DO NOT need all the quoted crap.  The older
users, those who're most likely to be able to answer questions best, are
the most likely to just hit delete and ignore postings sent by
thoughtless users.

Top posting doesn't help.  You're still wasting bandwidth on a
ridiculous scale, and people still have to scroll up and down all over
the place to find out what the hell you're responding to.

Don't be a bloody nuisance.

I have been following this discussion with interest, but I don´t see what
the fuss is all about...

JOKE JOKE.

sorry, couldn't resist... ;-)

FC