NFS causing slooooow boot

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Sep 30 17:03:25 UTC 2009

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm building custom Fedora remix with some packages from RPMFusion and
> updated Fedora packages. Last Live USB image I created booted really
> slow (over 5 minutes). I tracked down the issue to nfs service. Even
> when this ISO image is used for installing Fedora to HDD the same
> issue is present.
>
> After stopping nfs service boot time was around 30 seconds!
>
> Did anybody else experience this issue?

If you're seeing long NFS resolution times on boot, check to see if
you're running NetworkManager as opposed to the classic network
startup.  NM is designed to be a per-user thing and isn't started
until the desktop user logs in.  Nothing dependent on the network will
work (including NFS resolution) until that user logs in.

If your boot requires an NFS volume to satisfy your /etc/fstab
requirements, then either put an entry in your /etc/hosts file that
corresponds to the NFS server or make sure the /etc/fstab entry
uses IP addresses and not FQDNs to specify the volume to mount, e.g.

	1.2.3.4:/export

and NOT

	server.mydomain.com:/export
-          Programmers often confuse Halloween and Christmas.        -
-              After all, 31 Oct is the same as 25 Dec!              -