NFS causing slooooow boot

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 30 17:40:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 10:03:25 -0700
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > If your boot requires an NFS volume to satisfy your /etc/fstab
> > requirements
>
> I really, really, wish there was an fstab option I could add to nfs
> files that said: "Hey Mr. Mounter - when you go to mount this, just
> background it immediately, don't wait."
>
> That would make it much more convenient to have entries in fstab for
> nfs mounts to systems which may or may not actually be up at the
> time I'm booting.

bg

If the first NFS mount attempt times out, retry the mount in the
background. After a mount operation is backgrounded, all subsequent
mounts on the same NFS server will be backgrounded immediately,
without first attempting the mount. A missing mount point is treated
as a timeout, to allow for nested NFS mounts.

rday