gnome-settings-daemon taking over system

Hiisi very-cool at
Wed Sep 30 18:14:29 UTC 2009

|    * From: Tom Horsley <tom horsley att net>
|    * To: Fedora List <fedora-list redhat com>
|    * Subject: gnome-settings-daemon taking over system
|    * Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:03:36 -0400
|Don't know if it will happen to everyone, but the new
|gnome-settings-daemon goes wacko, using > 50% of the
|cpu after the latest updates pulled in a new version.
|(And the fonts look terrible in this mailer with it
|killed off :-).

I have exactly the same situation: gnome-settings-daemon eats CPU!
Moreover, I'm much more worried with another fact. It also sends
something somewhere:

How to stop it? I know, I can kill the process but is it 'official'
way of dealing with problems? I don't want to kill anybody after

$ uname -a
Linux #1 SMP Fri Sep 25 04:30:19 EDT 2009
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

What additional information should I provide? Thanks in advance!
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at:
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
SIP: hiisi at
pub   1024D/085B139A